Thursday, February 16, 2006

Late Post: Yud Shvat

I have been mulling this post for a while, namely whether it should at all be posted. There are sites that have been set up to bash Lubavitch, and some others that consider it their business to express their disappointment with the movement. So technically, there's no real need to add my two cents.

But if I am calling attention to relatively meaningless, obscure bits of nothing, then surely I ought to focus some of my attention to what I feel is not just an isolated occurence, but a disturbing trend.

Without going into history, it has been awhile since I last set foot in the "Rosa Hall" on one of the major days on the Lubavitcher calendar. I came this past Yud Shvat hoping, if nothing else, to hear some inspiring words. Whether it was to be called a Farbrengen or "conference", the dais was filled with scholars and Chassidim of no ordinary caliber, and regardless of whether or not I agree with their general approaches or even what they would be saying tonight, it promised to be interesting.

I came away sorely disappointed.

The makeover of Lubavitch into Lubavitch, Inc, is complete. The tone and atmosphere at the event was reminiscent of a corporate dinner bash more than an evening which would conceivably be the Rebbe's most emotional day of the year. From the tone and rhetoric being pushed by the emcee, to the reports given by "Netzigei HaYeshivos" (anyone remember anything remotely similar in pre-'94 days?) about Yud Shvat preparations around the world, which without exception made at least as big a point of the amount of money raised as the preparations themselves, and which culminated in a public degradation of Torah study, to the rambunctious applause thereafter; this was an evening simply not worth having happened.

To be sure, there were other speakers who spoke sincerely and eloquently about the theme of the hour and our connection to the Rebbe. There was even one who hinted at protest of some of the foregoing. But that any of this should be possible on Yud Shvat of all days, on an evening when the Rebbe would address the world, nauseated me. I wanted to puke; I am sure that the Rebbe would want to, as well.

ומסיימים בטוב.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

there is some truth in what you say. it seems that the "speaker of dissent" was rabbi wolberg. it also nauseated me too.

Sun Feb 19, 01:31:00 AM 2006  
Blogger Nathan said...

TA,

I thought the doing in cornflakes issue had been resolved. :)

At any rate, I am aware of your position on the matter. I can fully sympathize with where you are coming from. That said, I disagree categorically.

The Rebbe was for leaving no method unused in the name of a proper cause, even if it would be a "deviation" from traditional approaches; ours is a deviation from traditional times. This has nothing to do with people becoming a "herd of rams" free of any normal, refined behaviour, let alone some depth.

The suggestion that the Rebbe approved of the latter is, IMHO and bimchilas kvod toraso, ludicrous.

Sun Feb 19, 02:31:00 AM 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Could you please expand upon the degradation of Torah study? How was that done?

Sun Feb 19, 05:46:00 AM 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home